Sunday, May 22, 2011

Charlie's Story-Birth

Charlie is one of 30 babies that was eligible for the cooling blanket at University of Minnesota Amplatz Children's Hospital since they started using the new remedy approximately 3 years ago. 

My pregnancy with Charlie was great and without any complications, so I was expecting a pretty smooth/normal birth.  My story starts on Christmas Day, 2010.  I went to the hospital when my contractions were about 2 minutes apart.  They sent me home because I was only dilated to two.  I went back to the hospital on Tuesday, December 28 with contractions and amniotic fluid leakage.  I was sent home again because I was still dilated to two and the fluid I was leaking tested negative.  On Sunday, January 2, 2011 at 11 a.m. I went into the hospital for the third time, after my water broke, with a fever of 104.  I started pushing around 9 p.m. until about 12:00 a.m.  After a double episiotomy and failed vacuuming times 3, the doctor decided that it was time for an emergency c-section. By this time, I could feel everything including the doctor cutting me open during the c-section, so they had to knock me completely out.  Surgery lasted about 4 hours because they cut my bladder. Our amazing little boy, Charlie, was born at 12:32 a.m. on January 3, 2011 weighing 6 lbs 9 oz and 18.5 inches long after being vacuumed for a 4th time during the c-section.  He was born at 37 weeks and 5 days with an Apgar score of 0/6/8 at 0, 5 and 10 minutes.

Charlie's heart rate and respiratory effort were absent at the time of birth because he was stuck in the birth canal for an extended amount of time (they are guessing that my pelvis wasn't big enough to birth a child vaginally).  They presumed he had sepsis because I had an infection in my placenta, which was caused by my amniotic fluid leaking for a week prior to his birth. They got him breathing by bag valve mask and intubation after 30 seconds of being out of the womb, but he was in distress for a longer period of time inside of the womb which led to the emergency c-section.   He was rushed to University of Minnesota Amplatz Children's Hospital where they have a top-of-the-line Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).  He was in danger of brain asphyxia, so we were SOOO lucky that this hospital had 2 cooling machines/blankets available. Charlie was placed on the cooling blanket and put into a medically induced coma for comfort.

My husband came into the room crying after I woke up from surgery and I was super confused. He told me that Charlie may have suffered from brain damage during the birthing process. I will remember that moment for the rest of my life. I was finally able to see Charlie 2 days after he was born. He was very swollen, cold, stiff, and his head felt like a bowl of Jell-O, but still the cutest baby I had ever seen. It broke my heart to see him intubated, cold, and naked with cords and monitors strapped to every inch of his body.  He was deemed critically ill for the first week of his life.  His neonatology assessment was:
  • Critically ill term male infant
  • Significant perinatal depression with Apgars of 0/6/8.  Responded well to resuscitation efforts, but at risk for multi-organ dysfunction and HIE.
  • Respiratory failure required vent support.
  • Hypotension
  • Abnormal neuro exam without seizures
  • Meets criteria for therapeutic hypothermia
  • Presumed sepsis with possible PPROM
  • Subgaleal hemorrhage
  • Potential coagulopathy
  • Potential jaundice
He was taken off of the cooling machine on Thursday, January 6 and started the warming process. His cultures came back normal, which meant he was free of infection/sepsis. We received his MRI results back late Thursday evening and they were as follows:
  • No signs of hypoxia (lack of oxygen to the brain)-best news EVER
  • Small skull fracture with a very large hematoma (above the brain)
  • Small hematoma right above his brain, but behind the motor strip in the gray matter of the brain
We still aren't out of the woods, but the doctor is very optimistic. He will continue to be monitored by the NICU unit at 4 months, 1 year, 2.5 years and 5 years old.  He will also be seen by an occupational therapist from the school district weekly until he is 1 year old.

He just kept progressing every single day. The day after he was taken off of the cooling blanket, he pooped for the first time and was finally moving around. He was taken off of his ventilator and breathing room air.

Saturday night was probably the best night of our lives. He pooped, cried, ingested milk through a feeding tube, sucked on a pacifier and opened both of his eyes! His eyes were completely swollen shut until that night.

Monday, a week after his birth, he was able to eat without the feeding tube.  We stayed at the NICU in one of the family rooms for 3 nights so I could feed him.  The hospital started to feel like a prison, but we needed to get his feeding consistent before they would send us home. Charlie had an ultrasound on Wednesday, January 12 and it came back stable, meaning his fracture was healing and not growing.

On Friday, January 14, Charlie was discharged.  The nurses were all shocked that he healed so quickly.  They called him the "miracle baby." He brought a couple of them to tears when we left. It was a bittersweet moment.  We were happy, but scared to take him home without all of the nurses and monitors that had been watching him so closely for the past two weeks.

There were so many things to be thankful for despite the circumstances.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! I hope I get to continue reading about Charlie's miracle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, very inspiring, my baby has been cooling for two days now, hoping things go as well as they did with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandbaby, our first, is cooling right now too. Is heartbreaking to watch him shivering. Today they did start giving him pain medicine so it wouldn't be so hard on him though. All his is preventative - because of a series of events - hoping and praying it all really wasn't needed. Thank you for explaining things a little better than what I've been hearing. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad that my blog could be of help to you at this time. It breaks my heart whenever I hear of another baby having to go through such a traumatic event. I wish you and your family the best.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing and giving me hope as my story is so similar as I had a perfect pregnancy and horrible delivery resulting with c section because of unprofessional staff..:( my boy is cooling now and i just know in my heart he will be ok..just like you knew... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very happy that my blog is giving you hope. Stay strong and I hope everything turns out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm filling out my son's forms for school. He just started kindergarten. He is a smart, healthy boy, but like your son, his fate could have been very different. He was born on 3/07/10. A hearty 9.12 lbs. Apgars were 0/1/0. He also suffered and injury to his arm called Erb's Palsy causing paralysis of his rt arm. Intubated, swollen and blue, Ethan was put on a cooling blanket for the first 72 hours of his little life. It saved his life. He is beyond our expectations and anyone who cared for him during his first year of his life.
    We started occupational therapy at two weeks old and by 4 months he was able to touch his nose and his physical milestones rocketed from there! Rolled early, sat early, crawled early, walked early, talked early- I believe it's all part of the aftermath of the Cooling. He's a miracle. Ethan was the second cooling baby at our hospital and as I was mourning my "normal" first week, there was nothing on the Internet to comfort me. I was very scared and felt very alone.

    To anyone going through this, Your baby is going to be great. It's so hard. I hope u find comfort in my words. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your story! So good to hear that your son is doing so well.

      Delete
    2. Is it possible for you to contact me, Lindsay? Our son Avery was cooled, but not expected to survive due to the damage of 25min with no oxygen or heartbeat after birth. After pulling him off the ventilator he started breathing on his own and we are now home at two weeks old on hospice care. Your story is encouraging. If you can contact me, I would love to ask some questions. Donnaintheskywithdiamonds@yahoo.com

      -Donna

      Delete
  7. Life is amazing and I am happy to see that Ethan is stepping to another milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THank you SOOOO much for this blog and writing your story. We are at month 2 of HIE. I'm hoping in 5 years we have great results too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that it helped even a little. Stay strong!

      Delete
  9. Melissa, thank u for sharing Charlie's progress. We are at month 8 following brain cooling. Our daughter was hypoxic (HIE) grade 1. She's also doing so well. Your story is so encouraging and gives me hope for the future. A million thank yous, and best wishes for continued success in raising a wonderful son. Love from Ireland x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and I wish you the best also. So glad to hear your daughter is doing well.

      Delete