Sunday, April 1, 2012

Charlie's 1-year NICU check-up

Charlie just went into the clinic for his 1-year NICU check-up.  He went through some motor, communication, social skill testing and passed with flying colors!!!  What excellent news.  We knew in our hearts that Charlie was just fine, but it was great to get reassurance from the professionals.  The doctors basically told us that we are finally "out of the woods" and that we should not be worrying about any future regression and/or roadblocks.  They said that they would not be surprised if the school district discontinued their services for speech and occupational therapy, but if they were still willing to provide the services, take it!  After all, it can't hurt.  He will still need to go back for future check-ups just to make sure he stays on track.

If you are reading this and going through similar circumstances, keep your head up and just know that miracles can happen.  We will be forever thankful for the treatment Charlie received, which brought him to where he is today.

11 comments:

  1. Melissa,

    I am currently going through a situation very similar to yours. I'm so happy to hear about Charlie! My son was born March 12, 2012 and had to also be put on the cooling blanket. It would mean so much and be a big help to me if we could exchange email addresses. Your story has given me the courage to at least make it through today. My son is still in the hospital because he's having trouble feeding. It would be do helpful and encouraging to talk more with you.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, I am so glad you found my blog and reached out. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. Please send me an email at mpeick@hotmail.com and we can chat more. I had a similar experience with the feeding also.

      Delete
    2. Hi my son was cooled as well with no seizures and a normal MRI . He was in the nicu for 32 days to get the feeding part down and everything seems fine my only concern is his muscle tone it seems low . I'm not sure if it's due to the fact that he wasn't using any strength the whole time being in the nicu. Did you experience anything like this . I would love to know !

      Delete
    3. Hi Cassie,

      I didn't have any experience with Charlie having low muscle tone...at least not that I can remember. Thanks for sharing your story. I wish you the best!

      Delete
  2. Thank You so much for this blog! My son was born on June 17th 2012 with Meconium Aspiration and was put on the cooling blanket. My doctors aren't as optimistic as yours were but I AM:-) I hope u continue this blog for others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by the way my son is healthy today & doing well but still in NICU because of feeding issues as well:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to hear news about Charlie; he looks like a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter was just put through this study for 5 days on thee cooling blanket. She asperated her meconimum and had her cord wrapped around her neck. She was really bad when she was born. But now almost aa month later she's is slowly doing better and hopefully we will get to head home with in the next week to two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of your comments everyone! It is so good to hear that all of these babies are doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are just coming out of the cooling blanket treatment. He was born April 19 and on it for 72 hours. We are just getting started with our local birth to three program and got a great report from our pediatrician yesterday! Hoping for results similar to yours! So nice to read this success story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to hear that you got a great report from your pediatrician. That has to be such a relief. I know it was for us every time we brought him in. Thanks for reading!

      Delete